The Mystery of Praise!

Praise is a mystery! Some times when we read that part of the Bible that says ‘God inhabits the praises of His people’, it doesn't quite strike a chord. Yes, I have found myself asking how and is it all the time? Anyway, Leah’s story in Genesis 29 helped to shed light on the depth of the mystery of praise.

You probably  know the story of how Jacob was tricked by his father-in-law who gave him Leah instead of Rachel. Jacob ended up marrying both Sisters but his heart belonged to Rachel. I can imagine how miserable Leah must have been. Leah however had something going for her; she had children.

Like with every polygamous  home, there was competition  between the two sisters. It was God Who chose to pacify Leah by giving her children (Genesis 29:31). Leah had the first child and called him Reuben  (the Lord has looked upon my affliction). She had another and called him Simeon (because the Lord has heard I was hated, he has given me this son). The third son was called Levi because she said this time my husband will be joined to me. What a name!
Leah had her fourth son and called him Judah (now will I praise the Lord).

 And she conceived again and bore a son, and said, “Now I will praise the Lord.” Genesis 29:35a

Some of us waste situations that are meant for praising God on scorning or trying to spite our enemies. Leah had been using her sons to fight and spite her sister Rachel but none of those got her anywhere. When she took the path of wisdom, and called her son Judah, her story changed.

Leah brought in the Ark of God personified in a little boy Judah when she declared him a sacrifice of praise. Jacob had several other sons by his wives’ maids and even Rachel but none of them made it to the honour list in Matt. 1:1-17.

Action Point
What about dedicating ourselves to God as sacrifices of praise....all that is within  me, bless His Holy name. Sing to Him, praise Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eternal Perspective

Get keys and not 'locks' for 2019

This time of the year is always special; often loaded with fresh hopes, resolutions and revolutions. There’s also the part of our variou...